Mac's Gulch, near Gazelle, is noted for its beautiful limestone bluffs.
The first owner of the lime rock was a man by the name of McArthur. The first lime used was burned in pots on the property. In the early 1900's, the Mt. Shasta Lime Company was formed, and it had a big steel lime kiln. This kiln had a capacity of 5 tons per day and it burned wood for fuel. Due to a disagreement between the partners, the company was finally closed.
In the 1940's the mining of limestone began again, and by the 1950's, the owner, Greenwood and Donaldson, took out 100 thousand tons for use by the Spreckles Sugar Company as "sugar rock", which was used to bleach sugar. The poorer grade of lime was sold for road paving and fertilizer.
These partners had a disagreement, and operations ceased in 1954. There are still millions of tons of limestone just waiting for the right owner to mine it.
from The Siskiyou County Museum and Historical Society
View a related image: Str. Klamath, Merrill Landing.